Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology
The Department of Oral Medicine & Radiology in RVS Dental college is located in the ground
floor of the main building. It is unique in that it combines Oral Medicine and Radiology. It
stands at the interface between dentistry and medicine. It is concerned with the diagnosis
and optimum oral health care of the patients along with non-surgical management of medical
disorders that affects the oral and maxillofacial regions.
It deals with
- Oral & Maxillofacial diseases
- Oral health care for medically compromised
- Oral manifestation of systemic diseases
- Follow up care for patients
- Oral health education and preventive care for
- Diagnostic images of the oral and maxillofacial
The department has highly competent faculties who have attained success in academic research
as well as clinical services.
- To promote excellence in patient care,
education, and research in the field of Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- To promote access to quality, affordable and
cost-effective expert Oral Medicine care.
- To improve the quality of life of patients with
medically related oral diseases.
- To conduct dental screening camps to create
awareness & to widen the knowledge about dental health among public.
- To educate & to create awareness about the ill
effects of tobacco among the public.
- To educate the students with adequate knowledge,
necessary skills and make them competent in dental practice and the latest imaging
modalities in dentistry.
- To provide emergency treatment for conditions
like anaphylaxis, seizures etc.
Achievements and Events
- A Guest Lecture on CBCT was given by Dr. Junaid
Ahmed, Professor Department of OMR, Manipal College of Dental sciences, Mangalore on
Oct 7 2017. The objective was to provide knowledge and aptitude for our dental
students towards CBCT & its applications.
- An Oral screening camp was conducted at SIMTA
MACHINERY & SIMTA ATRIX Pvt Ltd. on 29th & 30th April 2019. Nearly 150 workers were
examined & 34 patients were identified with potentially malignant disorders. A short
film regarding the ill effects of tobacco was featured. A speech was given in the
local language and pamphlets were distributed. Adequate counselling was given to
quit smoking & pan chewing. About 70% of the people affirmed to quit their habit
after the counselling.
- World No Tobacco day is celebrated on 31st May
every year. In 2019, our department organized a rally at RVS Dental College &
Hospital in the Sulur campus to create awareness among patients and students. About
450 members including doctors, faculty, A pledge was taken by everyone against
tobacco usage. Informative models & posters regarding the ill effects of tobacco
were displayed around the campus. Interactive games to promote anti-tobacco
awareness and face painting competitions were held.
- Adding an edge to it, Department of OMR takes
pride to have established the ”Tobacco Cessation Centre” within the campus on June
20, 2019. The centre intends to provide individual intervention in the form of
behavioral counseling and nicotine replacement therapy. This initiative turned to be
successful, where many tobacco users were given counseling & made to quit tobacco
with regular follow up.
- Photo dynamic therapy by Mr. Balaji Jagan in All India IDA Conference , Vizhupuram, 2014 - 1st place
- Mental Health: A Dentist's Perspective by Sneha Suresh Kumar in MOKSHA 2K17, VELS University, Chennai -1st place
- Dengue – Break Bone Fever by Mr. Vignesh.S in MOKSHA 2K17, VELS University, Chennai - 2nd place
- Osteosarcoma in right maxilla – a rare case report by Ms. Vandana A in SEED 2K19, Vinayaga Mission Dental College , Salem - 1st place
- Positron emission tomography by Ms. Archana Premraj in All India UG Conference, Chettinad Dental College, 2011 - 1st place
- Forensic Odontology by Mr. Godwin Alex Kiruba in All India IDA Conference, Vizhupuram, 2014 - 1st place
- Radiographic Phoenix by Ms. Shanmugapriya and Ms. A.S. Pradeepa in MOKSHA 2K17, VELS University, Chennai - 1st place
- Faith to Fashion by Ms. Shruthi.R & Ms. Jeeva Joice in SEED2K19, Vinayaga Mission Dental College, Salem
- The Department provides conducive environment and our professionals render quality care for the well-being of patients.
- All the diagnostic and therapeutic procedures are provided at minimal cost.
- This department is well equipped with advanced dental chairs and dental instruments with sophisticated methods of sterilization.
- Intraoral periapical radiographs, Bitewing and Occlusal radiographs.
- Digital imaging system like Panoramic radiography and Radiovisiography.
- Extra oral radiographs like Cephalogram, Orthopantamogram, Hand wrist radiographs, TMJ projections, etc.
- Sialography and Intraoral camera.
- Well equipped radiology room with TLD badges, lead apron and lead barrier.
- A separate department library with latest editions of National and International books for references.
- Well equipped Tobacco cessation center.
- Completely established sterilization room.