- Clinical Science
- Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
The Department of Oral Pathology and Oral microbiology at RVS Dental College & Hospital was established in 2008. Oral Pathology and Oral microbiology is a branch of dentistry and pathology that deals with identification of diseases of oral and maxillofacial region and evaluate the causes, processes and effects of these diseases. The essence of this science lies in unravelling the diseases at macroscopic and microscopic level. The department has a well designed chambers allotted for clinical examination, student's laboratory, and museum with numerous mounted specimens, models and posters.
This specialty of dentistry includes dental anatomy, histology, embryology & pathology. Dental anatomy and histology forms the foundation to better understanding of clinical dentistry in the first year and Oral Pathology teaches third year students to identify various pathologic conditions clinically as well as on histopathologic examination.
Goals of the Department
The undergraduate students are trained to:
- Acquire skills in identification and carving of primary & permanent teeth
- Develop skills in age estimation using plaster casts of different age groups,
- Identify dental anomalies through specimens and plaster casts and microscopic identifications of oral tissues as well as common oral lesions.
- Identify pathologic conditions clinically and microscopically
- To appreciate and identify the microscopic features of different basic tissues of the body.
- Teaching Activities include seminars, group discussion and continuing dental education.
- Students are vigilantly observed, assessed and trained with regular class-tests and internal examinations.
- The students are assigned small project work and other lab activities.
- The team of teaching faculty is committed to a high level of excellence in publishing their academic work and interesting cases in national and international journals.
- The department encourages students to participate in all the state and national academic events.
- The enhanced learning and understanding of the basic oral tissues, development and histology and understanding histopathological features of oral pathology in digital platform provides research opportunities in craniofacial development, material sciences and oral biology.
Laboratories and Facilities
- The department has a well equipped histopathology lab for tissue processing with special stains to facilitate precise and accurate diagnosis for appropriate treatment plan.
- The department has also established a full-fledged hematologic laboratory where blood investigations for patients can be done.